Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Go Ask Alice


Go Ask Alice- By Beatrice Sparks Review by Samantha Stroy.
 First, I want to say before I get to the review is I didn't have to read
this. In fact I read it for all the wrong reasons. My husband 's high
school English class was reading it and he has never been the best at
studying and reading books. ( he's a great reader, just hates to read.)
So, he brought home his homework and was struggling with it. So, I
decided to get my own copy and read it and help him with his
homework. Anyway, I fell in love with the book and what was
suppose to read 30 pages of it just to help him, well I read the whole
thing. I have read it a total of 7 times and love every minute of it.
The story is about a 15 year old girl in the 1970's and receive's a
diary to write her feelings and emotions in. It started out innocent
but somewhere along the line she was slipped a LSD drug at a party
and somehow she liked it and wanted more. She would do anything
she could think of to get high again. She met and started hanging out
with some bad kids at school. Then, she was kicked out of school for
selling drugs and being on drugs, then kicked out of her house.
house.
She ended up running away from her town to San Francisco,
California to start a new life. She ends up hitting an all time low
and started sleeping with guys, and other random things just to get
money for her next dope baggy. All at the same time she is writing
her journal entries on paper bags, napkins, random scrap paper, and
anything else she can think of to write on. she ends up back home
and put in rehab to get rid of her withdrawls and to start clean and
not be on dope anymore.
Everytime I read this book I like it all over again like the first time.
It's one of those books you can read over and over and not feel guilty
reading it. I have always liked the whole diary format books. It's a
great way of writing and the reading is more fun.
There are way more books in the same format that Beatrice Sparks
writes. Her way of writing reminds me of Ellen Hopkins books.
This is on the banned books list of reading material which I
understand if you are 14 and under. But, for high school reading
material, you are old enough to read a book like this and learn a
positive message from it.
It's a book that even though its about a negative subject, you can
learn from it. Like, learning from other people's mistakes.
"This groundbreaking classic is more compelling than ever for today's
readers. A sensation when it was first published and a perennial
bestseller ever since, this real-life diary charts an anonymous
teenage girl's struggle with the seductive--and often fatal--world of
drugs.
" Taken from Goodreads.

 also posted at http://itsapenpalworld.blogspot.com/ please feel free to add me as a friend and dont forget to leave a comment with your blog so I can follow you also.

3 comments:

Wow--7 times! This sounds like an emotion and fast-paced read. Thank you for making me aware of it.

This was one of the few books I ever read as a teen, and believe me it stuck with me all this time.

I read this book when I was younger as well and I remember it like it was yesterday.

Post a Comment

We love comments!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More