Monday, November 7, 2011

Author Interview: Doreen McGettigan (by Melissa)





When Doreen’s brother was murdered, she was shattered.  She dove head first into working; writing and learning.  Anything to keep herself  from feeling or dealing with her loss and the complete unraveling of her family. She joined a Homicide Survivors Group and then became active in the state of Pennsylvania’s largest and most comprehensive victim service organization, NOVA, as an advocate, board member and speaker.  She has become a voice for those effected by violence and bullying.  She has also become a champion for the elderly who sometimes have trouble admitting they have been victimized. Doreen has written for several Philadelphia area newspapers and is a member of The Press Club and BNI.
She met (online) and married the love of her life and soul mate, John.  It was John who insisted she finish her book. Together, Doreen and John have 5 grown children  (2 more in heaven), and 11 grand children (their own little cult).  Doreen lives in Delaware County, Pa. with her husband, John,  2 yappy terriers and a homeless woman named Sophie. Below is a list of the questions posed to Doreen, and her replies.


   *What was your life like before becoming an author?
I wanted to be an author. I always wrote. Being and author is different. It still feels like a dream. 

   *Do you have a specific writing style?
My writing is as eclectic as my reading.

   *When did you first consider yourself a writer?
Definitely at the age of ten.

   *What inspired you to write your first book?
Anger, and then my husband insisted I finish the book. He definitely inspired me with tea and chocolate.



   *What sparked the idea for your series?
I kept a journal while grieving the murder of my brother. When the facts of the case made no sense and justice went all wrong my journal became the book.

   *What was your favorite part of the books?
 The release of anger towards the murderers.

    *What was the hardest part to write in the books?
The tragic memories. The happy ones were much easier and actually helped with the grieving process.

    *How personal is your writing?
I write non-fiction and my first book is on the random road rage murder of my brother. The second is the suicide of my stepson and the third is the story of a homeless woman we took in and cared for, for three years. It is very personal. I always wanted to write fiction...someday.

   *Which comes first? The character's story or the idea for the novel?
I felt compelled to tell these stories. The characters for non-fiction are more difficult than you would think.

   *What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a published writer?
Grow a really thick skin and have a ton of patience. It is a long process but totally worth the time.

   *What is your favorite authors/books? 
I loved Rebecca Rasmussen's "The Bird Sisters"; I liked Lisa Vaugn's "The Gifted Ones" I'm a Twilight fan, Max Lucado fan and Nora Roberts. Pretty eclectic taste.

   *If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
My stepson John. I'm writing the story of his death and I never met him.

   *Where are you from?
Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania

   *Tell us your latest news.
My first book, "BRISTOL Boyz STOMP" is being released 11/8/11!

More information on the author Doreen McGettigan can be found on her website at: http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com/. Thank you in advance for your interest! Have a great day and I hope you enjoyed the interview. -Melissa
A room without books is like a body without a soul. -Cicero

3 comments:

Wow, such powerful experiences. I can't wait to read the book!

New Follower.

Stopping by from Beck Valley Books' Blog Hop.

Elizabeth

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Wonderful content as well as right to the point.
Right after if this is the truth is a good option need to however don't you individuals have any ideas on where you can get a number of ghost writers? Many thanks in advance.
Visit my web site ... People Records

Post a Comment

We love comments!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More